Saturday, December 09, 2006

Has she cracked?

My friends think I have officially cracked. When I made a proud announcement to a couple of groups of friends lately, I could see it in the glances they exchanged with one another. Yep, those looks said, she’s totally lost it! What was my “big announcement”? I have 2 gray hairs! Said loudly, with pride. That’s the part that got the weird looks. “Did you pull them out?” asked one friend. “No!” I replied.

After I thought about it, and how many of them use color in a bottle, or plan to, or whatever, I thought, why am I having this weird reaction? I mean, most American women don’t advertise the fact they are sprouting silver streaks.

I think it has something to do with the fact that for so long, it seemed like my husband and I were the “kids” at every adult function at church. He was the junior member on staff. I was the youngest in the ladies group. Whatever. A few people still look at us that way, simply because we are younger than they are, or because we are (still!) in youth ministry. And never mind that my husband is now the longest tenured staff member at our particular church. But most, somewhere along the way, have come to view us as full-fledged adults. And I’ve worked pretty hard to live up to the responsibility that implies. Thus, I can accept gray hair as a sign of emerging maturity, of experience—sometimes very difficult but almost always fruitful experience—bringing me closer to my Lord.

For a long time, though, we got the rolled eyes and the brush offs that sometimes happen when you are young. Even if you’ve been out of college, working hard on the field for five years or so, you’re still just a pup to the 50 and 60 year olds. (A phenomenon you’ll understand better as you head toward that age yourself!) It may feel painfully like lack of respect, or unwarranted belittling. Guess what, sometimes those with more experience than you actually do have some wisdom you should take into account! Even if you are right about something, if you truly respect them and practice patience, you will eventually earn their trust. Too often when we are young, we are passionate and want to change the world RIGHT NOW—note that these last two words are the only ones in this sentence that will get you into trouble. Eugene Peterson writes about Christian life being a long journey in the same direction. Living that kind of life will allow you to find the respect you crave, while maintaining healthy humility. And when life gives you gray hair, you can be proud of it!

1 Comments:

At 1:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too, am proud of my grey hairs at thirty years old. It means to me that I'm a mom and a wife and have gone through things that have probably caused those greys!! My husband and I have battled with always being the young ones and no one listening to our input or advice. So now when we start fussing about something or someone who doesn't follow what we think they should be doing, one of us will say, "And we are right because we know it all!" That helps us to laugh about it and understand that change doesn't happen right now or that we know and understand everything. Even when we disagree with our church leadership, we understand that they are there to lead all of us and that we need to lean on their wisdom and guidance. Being young may help us to handle change faster but does not gives us the wisdom that only life experience can bring us to make the best decisions. I'm glad to be young but I'm glad to be getting older to see what else God has to teach me and the wisdom that I will gain from it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home