Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Encouragement from the Word

A long time ago, when I was a girl at church camp, someone asked everyone in our “family group” to share their favorite verse from the Bible. Of course, we were memorizing lots of verses that week, which was much easier back then! But I really had no idea what I would say my favorite verse was. I did know I didn’t want to use a typical one that anyone might say, like John 3:16, or Psalm 23. Not that those aren’t great passages, they are, but I wanted something different. I don’t remember what I said when it was my turn…whether I copied off a friend or made something up, or just said “I don’t know.” I do remember our leader’s favorite verse, though…he rattled off 1 Corinthians 15:58 to us, and I thought, yeah, that’s a really good one, that not everybody knows! So I wrote it down and memorized it that week, and it still brings me a lot of encouragement. I urge you to claim it for yourself: Therefore, my dear brothers (or sisters!), stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain. (1 Cor. 15:58, NIV)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home